The REA’s Energy Storage Forum represents all energy storage technologies at all scales, and is the largest group of its kind in the UK. With over 200 active members, the group represents manufacturers, project developers, operators, and financiers operating in technologies including Li-ion, flow, and heat batteries, cryogenic and gravity-based systems, pumped hydro, and compressed air.
REA sees energy storage as the missing piece to energy policy in the UK, as it can balance supplies and demand to help deliver the low carbon energy when needed. The Energy Storage Forum’s goal is ensure energy storage is incentivised and supported appropriately.
The Forum works closely with Government officials and Ofgem on regulatory and policy areas spanning incentives, planning, building regulations and taxation. It also develops technical and training standards, where it can rely on the support of other REA forums working on issues such as decentralised energy and grid connection.
A crucial document for this sector, which included the majority of REA asks at the time, is the joint BEIS & Ofgem Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, which is a road map for policy reform which will develop the sector.
Key work areas for the group include:
- Development of flexibility markets
- Capacity Market reform
- Implementation of the Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, including introduction of a definition of energy storage in primary legislation
- Building regulations & SAP/EPC reform
- Grid charging and connections, including responding to Ofgem’s Targeted Charging & Access and Forward Looking Charges Reviews
- Planning, including queuing processes
- Health & safety
- Best practice
- Co-location with generation assets
Governance of the Energy Storage Forum
- CHAIR: Vijay Shinde, Head of New Technology Solutions at Siemens Energy
Steering Group members include:
- Alistair Steele, Senior Consultant – Energy Storage at DNV GL
- Louise Dalton, Senior Associate at CMS
- Richard Malloy, Manager – UK Energy Storage at Eaton
- Fernando Morales, Lead Analyst at Highview Power
- Michelle Davies, Partner and International Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability at Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- Marcelo Torres, Regulatory Manager – Markets at Drax
For further information, contact Frank Gordon at the REA.
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Oct 19, 2021
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Mar 03, 2021
NEWS & PRESS RELEASES — Dec 22, 2020
MEMBERS ONLY Aug 18, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Apr 06, 2021
MEMBERS ONLY Feb 17, 2021
Nov 29, 2021
The latest updates on hydrogen from the REA
Nov 17, 2021
REA Member briefing – COP 26 Outcomes What did we expect from COP? The REA were Official Observers to COP26 and present in Glasgow for the full two weeks, attending numerous plenaries, negotiations, side events, informal meetings and member events. Most of the UK Government’s COP26 related domestic policy changes actually happened in the run […]
Nov 16, 2021
Recording: COP26 Fringe Panel Discussion – REA and NFU Present: Delivering a Decarbonised Agriculture Sector
Recording of the REA and NFU COP 26 Panel Discussion on Decarbonising Agriculture