REA comments on HM Treasury tariff update
- HM Treasury has today announced the updates to the temporary tariff regime if the UK leave the EU without a deal
- HM Treasury has committed to adjusting tariffs on bioethanol to retain support for UK producers
Commenting on the update, Dr Nina Skorupska Chief Executive at the REA said:
“The decision to retain tariffs is excellent news for the bioethanol industry which is already facing difficulties due to the delay in the introduction of E10.
“Exposing domestic manufacturers to additional competition though the removal of tariffs would have meant the closure of the remaining producer, the loss of around 100 direct jobs and huge damage to UK agriculture. In this time of uncertainty, it is encouraging to see HM Treasury take steps towards supporting the industry.”
For more information or to request an interview, please contact:
External Affairs Officer
+44 (0)20 7981 0862
Notes to editors
• The full updates from HM Treasury can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/temporary-tariff-regime-updated
• For further information on the UK Bioethanol Industry and the importance of introducing E10, see https://www.britishbioethanol.co.uk/
• Continued operation of the Ensus facility is essential, as it provides a key market for surplus home-grown feed wheat and makes an important animal feed by-product. If this wasn’t available British farmers would need to purchase animal feed from less sustainable sources, such as soya-based feed from regions in South America
About the Renewable Energy Association (REA)
The REA is the UK’s largest trade association for renewable energy and clean technologies with around 550 members operating across heat, transport, and power. The REA is a not-for-profit organisation that represents renewable energy and clean technology companies operating in over fourteen sectors, ranging from biogas and renewable fuels to solar and electric vehicle charging. Membership ranges from major multinationals to sole traders.
For more information, visit: www.r-e-a.net